The Tableau Web Data Connector (WDC) allows you to quickly and easily export iAuditor inspection data into Tableau for operations optimization, as well as drag and drop visualizations. Getting started with Tableau is easy. All you need is an iAuditor API token and a licensed copy of Tableau Desktop 10.0+.
The Tableau WDC allows Tableau Desktop users to connect directly to the iAuditor API to:
- Pull inspection data into Tableau within minutes
- Restrict the dataset by date range and one or more templates
- Take advantage of virtually all data points for any given inspection item - allowing you to segment, compare, or sort your data by almost any aspect
- Export workbooks, pick them back up later, and use the 'refresh' feature to keep your data fresh and current.
Set up the Tableau WDC
- Open Tableau Desktop
- From the left side menu, select “Connect”
- Select “To a Server” option, and click “Web Data Connector”
- Enter the URL for the WDC - tableau.safetyculture.com in the pop-up interface
- Hit enter and the WDC form will be displayed
- Configure the following:
From Date: Set the starting date range of the inspection data
To Date: Set the ending date range of the inspection data, this field can be left blank if you wish to pull data up to the current time
SafetyCulture API access token: Input your iAuditor API token
Select templates: Select the templates of the inspection data, check the “Select All” box to select all templates
- Click “Continue”
- On the next screen, click "Update Now"
- Tableau starts to retrieve all inspection data within the parameter set in the previous form
- Once complete, your data displays in tabular format (shown below)
- Select 'Go to Worksheet' on the bottom menu bar
- Drag and drop fields from the left panes onto the Columns, Rows, and Marks shelves to start building visualizations immediately
- Tableau can only pull data from complete inspections.
- The connector fetches all data in the specified date range each time a refresh is requested.
- The time it takes to load the data of a single inspection depends on several factors, including network speed, the size of the audit, etc.
- In our tests, loading a single inspection took approximately 2 seconds. If the tool returns a large number of inspections for the specified date range, the refresh process may take a long time i.e., 2 seconds x the number of inspections retrieved.
Learn via video
There are some known limitations to the iAuditor Tableau WDC.
- Permissions: If you don't have 'view' permissions to a template, you won't be able to select it from the 'Select Templates' list, even if you have access to inspections (audits) conducted from that template.
- Nesting: Nesting of categories is not represented. The "itemCategory" value will display the next category the item belongs to. For instance: if you have a category (let's call it SuperCategory), which has one or more child categories (let's call them SubCategory1 and SubCategory2), the only value reflected in the "itemCategory" field will be the SubCategory the item belongs to. You will not easily be able to determine that the item belongs to SuperCategory.
- Lag time: Search terms that will return a large number of inspections (audits) may take several minutes to execute.
Alternative methods are also available for pulling iAuditor inspection data into Tableau, primarily via spreadsheets, which may better fit some workflows. Those options include: